What’s been happening?
@ 8:55 pm | 10 comments
- I’m currently busy with Uni!! Sadly to say that I have assessment items due every single week. That’s because I have a final year IT project which runs for 2 semesters (one year). I didn’t quite enjoy the first few weeks of the project, coz I had to write report and business case. I’d prefer doing programming with thousands and thousands lines than writing these reports! Seriously, man. I hate it. My project is still on the initiation phase, therefore coding, programming, and that sort of stuffs won’t be touched until the executing & controlling phase which will be started in next semester. Every assessment items are currently done individually and I’m looking forward to be involved in a project team. The team, which will consist between 5 to 7 members, will be formed in 2 weeks. I hope I’ll work with group members who have good attitude .
- A few days ago I went to Uni with my friends to do the business case assignment. We usually go to the computer lab located in the IT building, but on that day, I forgot to bring my swipe card!! It was on Sunday and the building was basically locked. We couldn’t get in unless we had a swipe card. So we decided to go to the newly refurbished Biological Science Library. I’ve been there once ever since the library was opened again due to the renovation, but I didn’t see the details. This library is sooooo cool, cozy, and great!! I love the wooden stairs, the colour, and the light arrangement. There’re study rooms — each of them equipped with SONY plasma screens (see it here) and MANY computers that you can choose. It’s definitely a great place to study. It’s quiet too .
- Now it’s confirmed! I’m going to New Zealand for a 10-days winter vacation. I got my free ticket (frequent flyer program!) ready, the tourist visa approved, and the tour bookings confirmed. I’m so happy!!! The process to get these documents done was not so easy! Thank God everything’s over now. Anyway, I’ll leave Brisbane for Christchurch on 6 July and come back on 15 July. I’ll travel to NZ alone and hopefully I’ll meet some new friends during the tour. I’ll travel mostly the Southern island plus Wellington. I can’t wait for it!!!
- My family was finally ‘kicked out’ of our house in Jeddah . I’m serious!!! The governments want to destroy all ugly and old buildings in Jeddah; they probably want to re-plan the city. Some of my friends were also ordered to move. I can’t believe that — for the 5th time — my family’s going to move again!! We just moved from our previous house about 2 years ago (also due to kicking out . The owner wanted to sell the house.). And now we have to find a house again! FYI, my house is located in a very old complex owned by a big Saudi company (was it Bugshan?? I forgot). My dad joked that the Bugshan’s boss was too busy to remember that he had a land there, so he neglected the complex. My house was previously empty. No one lived there for years. I didn’t see its condition prior to renovation; but my mom said it was VERY bad. Even when I look at the house right now, I feel that it’s going to collapse real soon hahaha. If there were a category one hurricane, it’d definitely collapse! LOL. So my dad spent quite a bit of money for renovation. But the rent is so cheap, knowing the location is in the city center (note that we — immigrants , I mean… foreigners — are not allowed to buy a house here… that’s why we rent it). And now, we have to move again. Sigh. I thought that would be our last house, you know? Anyway, my parents have heard about the “kicking out” thingy since last year. So they’re quite prepared for it. They just got the formal letter from the owner about a month ago. O ya! There is a newly built huge, expensive, and high-class international hospital (am I exaggerating? ) near my house. Many people said that the government will build a new medical university there… near the hospital, of course.
- On Wednesday, there was an annual event Careers Fair at UQ. There were about 140 employers and agencies attended the event. I know that I’m not planning to work and live here permanently, but I think.. it doesn’t hurt to try, right? I just want to experience the scary interviewing process. I’m not expecting anything. I don’t even construct my CV seriously. I just want to try… But I had a really unfortunate time that day. I worked every Wednesday (and Monday), so I planned to leave the office for the Careers Fair around 1.30 pm. But then there were some works to be done and I couldn’t leave the office until 2.30 pm. At that time I realised that I left my CV at home! How stupid!!! I said to myself: since I didn’t write my CV seriously, maybe this event was not meant for me! After thinking for few minutes, I decided to go back home, take the CV, and go straight to the bus stop. As usual, the bus was late for 10 minutes, it arrived around 3.30 pm. The event finished at 4 pm sharp!!! Gosh! I had no time! I arrived at Uni at 3.40 pm and quickly rushed to UQ Centre. I only had 15 minutes to wonder around the exhibition hall and talked to the employers! Unfortunately, although the event was not supposed to finish until 4 pm, some company’s stalls were already emptied! THAT includes IBM’s and Red Hat’s! Well, I got a chance to talk to people from Shell and the Commonwealth Bank, though. Ah, what a day!